Identifying patients eligible for a Mental Health Treatment Plan Review
A GP Mental Health Treatment Plan (GP MHTP) provides a structured framework for GPs to undertake early intervention, assessment and management of patients with mental disorders. The review item is a key component for assessing and managing the patient’s progress once a GP MHTP has been prepared. Reviewing a patients MHTP is a significant element in facilitating a cycle of mental health care. A patient’s MHTP should be reviewed at least once in a 12 month period. From 1st November 2011 the GP MHTP item numbers for preparation of a GP MHTP are 2700, 2701, 2715 and 2717. These replace item numbers 2702 and 2710. A GP MHTP is valid for 12 months and the review item number for a MHTP is 2712. This recipe card has been reviewed and updated in conjunction with the General Practice Mental Health Standards Collaboration. For further information on the GPMHSC, visit www.gpmhsc.org.au
Patients currently on a MHTP
CAT Starting Point:
- In “Conditions” Tab, under “Mental Health” category, select “Yes”. This includes the conditions Anxiety, Depression, Schizophrenia and Bipolar.
- In the "Date Range (Results)" tab, click on the radio button next to ‘<= 12 mths’ to select only results entered in the last 12 months. Please note that this filter affects MBS items and clinical results.
- Click 'Recalculate to apply the filter
Recipe Steps Reports
- Hide Filters
- Select the "MBS Items" tab
- Click on the bar for "GP - MHTP" on the graph
- Click on the ‘Not Recorded’ tab under the ‘MBS item’ tab.
- Click on the bar for MBS item 2712 (GP MHCP Review).
Click on "Report" on the top of your screen to do a cross-tabulation report to include only those patients meeting all of the selected criteria on the graphs. For more information on cross-tabulated reports, see here.
This report will provide the practice with a list of those patients who have a mental health condition, have been billed in the last 12 months for a MHTP but have not been billed for a MHTP review in that period of time. The last 2 columns of the report display 1) the date the GP MHTP was billed and 2) the date the last review was billed.
To Export Patient List to Microsoft Excel:
1. Click on the “Export Icon”at the top of the Patient Reidentification window.
2. Click on “Excel”
3. Choose a file name and a location to save to (eg. Create a folder C:/ClinicalAudit/CAT Patient FollowUp)
4. Click “Save”
The steps above will produce a list of patients with contact details in MS Excel which can then be used to:
1. Go back through the individual patient records in the GP Clinical Desktop System (CDS) and update known records
2. Phone patients to update their record
3. Produce a mail merge to recall patients for follow up