Finding patients with Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) not coded for CHD
Practice registers are critical for case finding and monitoring progress of CHD patients.
All active patients currently on your system (active = 3 or more visits in the last 2 years) that have not been coded with CHD but who are on ACE medication and on lipid modifying medication
CAT Starting Point:
*The decision to select either "Active" or "All" patients is left to the practice to make
1 National Stroke Foundation. Clinical Guidelines for Stroke and TIA Management: A guide for general practice, pp4, 2008.
In the Filters Pane:
1. In the "Conditions" tab select "No" for "CHD"
2. In the "Medications" tab under "Medications – Heart" select
- ACE - Yes
- Lipid M/fying - Yes
3. Click "Recalculate"
4. Click "View Pop"
This will list all active (if selected on the general filter tab) patients not coded for CHD but on ACE inhibitor and lipid modifying medications and their last visit and assigned provider.
To Export Patient List to Microsoft Excel:
1. Click on the “Export Icon”at the top of the Patient Reidentification window.
2. Click on “Excel”
3. Choose a file name and a location to save to (eg. Create a folder C:/ClinicalAudit/CAT Patient FollowUp)
4. Click “Save”
The steps above will produce a list of patients with contact details in MS Excel which can then be used to:
1. Go back through the individual patient records in the GP Clinical Desktop System (CDS) and update known records
2. Phone patients to update their record
3. Produce a mail merge to recall patients for follow up
This CAT Recipe was submitted by
National Stroke Foundation
and supports their Clinical Guidelines for Stroke
and TIA Management: A guide for general practice, 2008.