Identifying Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) patients not on ACE/ARB medication
Biomedical risk factor modification – treat to target. Reducing Risk in Heart Disease guidelines recommend that ACEIs be considered in all patients with CHD, especially in those at high risk, unless contraindicated.
All active patients currently on your system (active = 3 or more visits in the last 2 years) that have been diagnosed with CHD are not on ACE or ARB medication.
CAT Starting Point:
*The decision to select either "Active" or "All" patients is left to the practice to make
1 National Stroke Foundation. Clinical Guidelines for Stroke and TIA Management: A guide for general practice, pp4, 2008.
In the Filters Pane:
1. In the "Conditions" tab select "CHD"
2. In the "Medications" tab under "Medications – Heart" select
- ACE or ARB - No
3. Click "Recalculate"
4. Click "View Pop"
This will list all active (if selected on the general filter tab) patients with CHD but not on ACE/ARB medications and their last visit and assigned provider.
To Export Patient List to Microsoft Excel:
1. Click on the “Export Icon”at the top of the Patient Reidentification window.
2. Click on “Excel”
3. Choose a file name and a location to save to (eg. Create a folder C:/ClinicalAudit/CAT Patient FollowUp)
4. Click “Save”
The steps above will produce a list of patients with contact details in MS Excel which can then be used to:
1. Go back through the individual patient records in the GP Clinical Desktop System (CDS) and update known records
2. Phone patients to update their record
3. Produce a mail merge to recall patients for follow up